Saturday, October 30, 2004

Farmer M's Garden of Foodly Delights

Hooray! We built the new veggie bed today! It was really pretty easy -- we used untreated cedar 4x4x8s, hinged at the corners and bracketed on the straight sides. Now we have a nice tidy bed of about 120 sq. feet for veggie gardening! I dumped out the compost batch from Bin #1 and spread it all across the bed. Amazing how much organic matter you have to pitch, filling the bin over and over again, to get a pitiful amount of compost. But we found worms aplenty, big fat ones, so I know there's life returning to the soil with a vengeance. In our first year, there were none to be found. Last Fall, I found a few here and there. Now, we counted 3-5 in ever shovelfull. Hooray! We will need some more soil to build the garden up, but using your own compost is very satisfying. M convinced me to buy a mulch scooper for moving Mount Mulchy. It's insane, this giant pile. It goes from the top of the driveway, nearly to the bottom, and it's probably 3-4 feet off the ground at points. I have to say, I'm not as thrilled as I was with the batch I got from the one-man arborist business... that was really nicely ground. This batch has lots of sticks and even a few logs. That's okay, it will all cook down eventually, and there are lots of leaves to speed things along. It just doesn't look as tidy as I'd hoped. Rain is forecast for tomorrow, rising to 80% chances. Here's hoping it stays away long enough for me to move more of Mt. Mulchy to the back and cover up the mud pit. Today we worked for about 5 hours before fatigue got us. Perhaps tomorrow, I can rise and shine and get a bunch done, then let the rain force me to stop and rest (I'm notoriously stubborn and usually work until I drop or hurt myself...) So, if you're up bright and early tomorrow and willing, c'mon over and I'll buy you a breakast taco. Oh, and you can take home all the mulch you can haul...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home