Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Contrary fandom

Neil Young is on my favorite Itunes radio station right now (Radio Paradise), and once again I'm reminded that I respect the dude as a songwriter but I just can't stand his voice. Same with Dylan -- I know he contributed ponderous amounts of songwriter-y goodness to the world at large, but hello? Can anybody stand listening to him? I sincerely want to know. And can I be the fag-hag that I am and still acknowledge that I hate Barbra Streisand? I recognize that she posesses technical prowess as a singer, but there's no soul there. All respect to Lucinda Williams, but she's like nails on the chalkboard to me. Word to NWA, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys, et al, but lemme change the channel when they're actually on the air... I can respect their various contributions to music, but it's not my bag. Is that weird? On the other hand, I actually downloaded some SuperTramp on a nostalgic whim recently, so my taste must surely be questionable.

3 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger bunny said...

I hate the Beastie Boys until they made that kind of funky comeback in the mid or late 90s - Sabotage, you know. Before then, feh. PE though - man, you cannot disrepect Chuck D. I won't stand for it. LOVES me some PE.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger marthachick said...

But here's the deal, see -- I LOVE Chuck D. LOVE. HIM. But do I really listen to PE? Not so much.

I did dowload the Chuck D/Moby tune last year. Does that count?

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Basically, I think you're just pointing out that there's a big difference between respecting an artist and actually liking her or his work.

Reminds me of what I said about Charna H. at Improv Olympic in Chicago -- I do not agree with her artistic opinion (of a particular improvisor) , but I will fight hard for her right to express said opinion.

~AEM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home